Transceiver Technology - Standards & history
Pluggable transceivers have, due to their flexibility, widely replaced fixed network interfaces. Soldered copper as well as optical units have been substituted by small MSA standardized cages.
- Storage-Networks with (10) Gigabit FibreChannel or (10) Gigabit Ethernet
- IP-Netzwerke with Fast respectively (10) Gigabit Ethernet
- SDH and SONET based networks
- High bitrate CWDM and DWDM networks
- Flexible Media-Converters/Modem/Multiplexer- und Crossconnect Solutions with Transceiver-Modulslots
SFP - Small Form-factor Pluggable (Mini-GBIC)Having the Small-Formfactor-Pluggable (SFP) superseding the the older GBIC made it finally possible to circumvent limitations in size and amount of supported applications while still offering a pluggable connection style. The biggest visible improvement is the size reduction of approximately 50% which is why SFPs are also known under the name Mini-GBIC.
SFP+ / SFP Plus - The compatc one for 10 GigabitThe SFP+ / SFP Plus format is recently the smallest pluggable transceiver format for 10 Gigabit applications. Similarly to the XFP-format a single series circuit is used. The focus of the SFP+ is on 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 8/10 Gigabit FibreChannel applications and SDH / SONET data. Distances of up to 80km are availabel.
- Mainly Datacom with 10 Gigabit-Ethernet und 10 Gigabit Fibrechannel
- Router + Switche
XFP - 10 Gigabit Small Form Factor PluggableLike for most developments in the pluggable transceiver realm the driving forces behind the XFP specification were the demands for smaller size and a wider range of uses. That's why the complex XAUI interface has been replaced by a single serial 10Gb/s channel. This simplification allowed a remarkable decrease in size.
- Datacom and Telecom with 10 Gigabit-Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Fibrechannel, SDH
- Router + Switches + Multiplexer + Converter
GBIC - GigaBit-Interface-ConverterThe GigaBit-Interface-Converter (GBIC) was designed at the end of the 90s. Originally it was used for storage systems, but it established fast as the standard interface for fibre channel switches.
- Mainly Datacom with Gigabit-Ethernet and Gigabit-FibreChannel
- Router + Switches